Thursday, March 12th, 2009
Google Friendfeed API
Google Friendfeed API launched today, 3/12/2009. There are open-source plugins available for Drupal, Wordpress, and phpBB.
Moving Your Site
When moving ips
1. DNS TTL: Set down to 5 Mins
2. Bring up site to exist on both IPs
3. Point old IP to point to new IP address
4. Wait 5+ minutes and take down old IP address
When moving URLs
- 301 Redirect a subdomain.
- Move a subdirectory first. Not the entire site. Check it out a week later and see if the move happened appropriately and you didn’t lose search traffic.
- Good to have a 301 redirect from each old page to the new page on the new site. Don’t just redirect to the root
What is the best way to get your back links back when you move your site?
- If you are getting a back link from an important location, make sure you ask them to move the links over directly to your new site.
What Determines Rankings
Do clickthroughs help determine rankings?
- Click-through is not used when determining the search results
- Toolbars tracking clicks are also noisy indicators for value
Links & Pagerank are still major indicators for success
- Big opportunity to create services for APIs, Twitter, etc, that will help you get good links. White-hat link bait.
What would do to optimize site
- Site architecture: Think of DMOZ: 13 top level categories, each one goes down, etc. A linking strategy that bounces around throughout the site is bad. Good keywords in URL.
- Titles: Good keywords in title. Use Google Adwords Keyword Tool to insert some keywords into your title.
- URL and Title can have different keywords in them – this allows you to get 2 different keyword sets for ranking.
- Check server logs – what terms are you ranking for? If you add more articles about the same topic, cross link them, might move from page 2 to page 1 for the keyword.
- Try to add 1 page of content a day (article/etc).
- Does Google have a Fast Index
o Yes, from update Fritz
o Go much faster than daily
- Do Twitter follower numbers increase PageRank?
- More links causes Google to search deeper in your site
- Fresher content should be on top
- Posting a lot doesn’t help you to show up higher, but people do link to you more when you post more frequently, which drives up the SEO content.
- Drupal is one of the best CMS systems on the web.
- DIV Hidden text: If you create a bizarre way to hide text, it would be black hat, but typically it’s ok. Google loves killing sites that have blackhat seo hidden text that is obviously spammy.